Cyprus Temporary Residence Permit
The Temporary Residence Permit for Cyprus is usually issued for one of the following reasons:
- For employment
- For studying
- For family reunification
The residence permit is usually issued for 1 year and is renewable annually. After five years of continuous residence in Cyprus, you can apply for a Permanent Residence Permit.
However, while you are living in Cyprus with a temporary Cyprus residence permit, you cannot leave the country for longer than 3 months since your permit would be automatically cancelled.
Cyprus temporary residence permit for employment
Every foreign national who comes to Cyprus to work has to get a residence permit upon arrival. However, the temporary residence permit does now automatically authorize the holder to work. Prior to travelling to Cyprus and obtaining the residence permit, you must also get a Cyprus work permit and work visa.
Cyprus temporary residence permit for students
Foreign students who come to Cyprus on a Study Visa have to register their stay and get a temporary residence permit upon arrival. They are not allowed to work full-time, and even so, only in certain sectors of employment.
They may renew their temporary residence permit for the duration of their studies.
Cyprus temporary residence permit for family reunification
Non-EU family members of Cyprus citizens or legal residents who have applied for family reunification will get a temporary residence permit upon arrival to Cyprus.
Cyprus Temporary Residence Permit Requirements
To apply for a Temporary Cyprus Residence Permit, you must submit the following documents:
- Temporary Residence Permit Application Form, completed and signed.
- Proof of accommodation in Cyprus
- Proof you have the required financial means to sustain yourself in Cyprus
- Medical certificate, stating you are negative for Tuberculosis, Hepatitis B and C, HIV/AIDS and syphilis, issued within the past 4 months
- Certificate of police clearance, issued from your country of residence within the past six months.
- Proof you have obtained health insurance
- A copy of your passport’s relevant pages: personal information, expiry/issuance date, previous visas.
- Bank Guarantee.
- Other documents which are related to the reason you want to live in Cyprus, such as:
- Marriage/birth certificate for family reunion
- Work permit for employment
- Proof of enrollment in an educational institution for international students
Cyprus Permanent Residence Permit
The Permanent Residence Permit for Cyprus is valid for up to five years, and can be renewed before it expires. It is issued in one of the following cases:
If you have lived in Cyprus with a Temporary Residence Permit for at least 5 years, during which time you did not leave Cyprus for longer than three months. You must have a work contract that’s either open-duration or for a minimum of 18 months.
If you purchase property in Cyprus at the value of at least €300,000. This is also known as the “fast-track” option. If you choose to apply for Cyprus permanent residency via the fast-track option, your application will be processed within 2 months. However, you must fulfill certain conditions, such as:
- You must prove you purchased the property with funds acquired outside Cyprus
- You must have an annual income of at least €30,000, which you receive from outside sources
- You must deposit €30,000 in a Cypriot bank, where it will be frozen for three years, after which time you will have access to it again.
- If you have dependents (children under 18 and a spouse), you must have an additional annual income of €5,000 a year for each one.
- For dependent parents, either yours or your spouse’s, you must have an additional €8,000 per year for each of them.
- You may bring dependent children from 18 to 25 years old, provided that they
- Prove you do not intend to take up paid employment in Cyprus
- You must enter Cyprus at least every two years to maintain your status as a Permanent Resident
A Cyprus Permanent Residence Permit allows the holder similar rights to Cypriot citizens, including:
- Access to employment and self-employment opportunities, without restrictions
- Access to freedom of movement within the EU territory
- Access to Social assistance and Social protection
- Access to tax benefits
How to apply for a Cyprus Residence Permit?
You must apply for a Cyprus Temporary Residence Permit within seven days of arriving in Cyprus at:
- The Civil Registry and Migration Department, if you will be living in the Nicosia District
- At a District Immigration Unit, if you will be living in another District
If you are applying for a Cyprus Permanent Residence Permit or an Immgration Permit, you must apply at a central office of the Civil Registry and Migration Department.
You should visit the website of the Civil Registry and Migration Department to look about their contact information and make an appointment. If you are a student or foreign worker, your school or employer will help you with the application process.
When you apply, the Cypriot immigration authorities will take your fingerprints and picture (your biometrics).
If your application is approved, they will contact you to go and receive your residence card. If the application is not approved, they will inform you of the reason.
How to Renew a Cyprus Residence Permit?
You must apply for a Residence Permit renewal at least one month before it expires. You should apply at the same location in which you received your original residence permit.
What is the processing time for a Cyprus Residence Permit?
Cyprus Residence Permits are processed:
- For employment: within four months
- For studying: within three months
- For family reunification: within nine months
- For permanent residency: within twelve months (two months via the fast-track option)
However, this is just a general outline of the processing times, since they may change slightly depending on your specific case – you may receive it earlier or later.